NORTH AEGEAN NARRATIVES is a cross-cultural project designed to contribute to the fostering of mutual understanding between Turkey and Greece, and to interconnect two communities at a local level through collaborative works of Turkish and Greek media artists.
The organisers are looking for 16 young media artists, 8 from Turkey and and 8 from Greece, who will collaborate to produce short creative documentary films, reflecting on the North Aegean Narratives Project’s main theme “Re-thinking closeness and apartness, re-connecting with the other side”.
These young media-makers will collectively attend a Creative Documentary Development Workshop in Adatepe (a former Greek settlement in Canakkale, Turkey). Upon completion of the workshop and the preparation phase, each artist will work in a mixed team of four participants and complete one short creative documentary (5 to 10 minutes), contemplating different narratives such as culture, gender, identity, social policy, environment, religion and tradition.
The geography where the short documentaries will be shot is restricted to the North Aegean region of Turkey and Lesvos Island of Greece. The completed media works will then be screened in Adatepe, Canakkale (city center), Mytilene, Athens, Eskisehir and Istanbul.
The applications are now open, and the deadline is 12 February 2012.
North Aegean Narratives project aims to attain the following objectives:
- To interconnect artists from Turkey and Greece living in the North Aegean region and to encourage them to understand each other and to create a dialogue through art;
- To implement innovative and inclusive activities seeking to include local people in the production process and to make them familiar with the visual arts, to bring art into the public space and to offer local people new ways for cultural understanding;
- To promote the works of young artists to a wider audience;
- To foster partnerships, networks and create debate and dialogues with arts practitioners, local communities and audiences in the North Aegean Region of Turkey and Greece;
- To offer new artistic expressions, through collaborative works of the Turkish and Greek artists, seeking to enhance mutual cultural understanding and to overcome the misunderstandings and prejudices;
- To establish an online platform serving as a virtual working and networking environment aiming to encourage young artists of the North Aegean to work and produce together and to facilitate communication between them.
The “North Aegean Narratives” project has been designed by
Istanbul Digital Culture and Art Foundation.
Istanbul Digital leads and manages the project implementation together with its main project partner KEDE – Center for Research and Action on Peace of Athens Greece, and its associate partners, which are:
* ECF – European Culture Foundation of Netherlands,
* AEOLIS– Cultural Development Society of Lesvos Island,
* KARPOS – Centre of Education and Intercultural Communication,
* The University of the Aegean in Lesvos,
* Onsekiz Mart University of Canakkale,
* Anadolu University of Eskisehir, and
* Yildiz Technical University of Istanbul.
This Project is financed under the Civil Society Facility-EU-Turkey Intercultural Dialogue: Culture & Arts programme and is co-funded by the European Union and the Government of Republic of Turkey.